27 February, 2013

CONCLUSIONS OF FIRST TESTS.

NA-Y boat results very seaworthy. I can't post a pic about but I seen this boat floating over a two meters breacking wave in the surf a day when the swell was very strong.  The boat was very light and the water flows down the chines. Once I sculled her in open waters when the ferryes still at dock.
You can believe or not, is up to you.
Yulohing it is a bit slow but not very hard, I remember that day I mentioned before, the waves was something like six feet from the stern cause the wind, and also six feet from starboard cause the tidal. The yuloh I did based upon similar proportions of Slieve Mc.Galliard suggest works fine in the waves- also over the wake of the ferrys as I a bit scared tested several days ago- .
The only problem with the NA-Y was crossed winds. The next hull will need something like leeboards or chine runners. I think Yrvind's development is special for this kind of boat- but will need modifications to use it in assist the wave propulsion (something similar to to chine runners is mentioned in Gardner dory's book).
The wide stern from the original planning hull was a good choice. In a multichine boat light as this the water will flow very good to the exit with no need of a narrower buttock when doesn't have the weight of the engine hanged in the stern.
After I discarded the engine I did the yuloh from scrap. The main arm- paddle and longer loom- comes from an old whales boat oar in red hard wood -"platanillo" in spanish- with the addition of a smaller arm at twenty degrees or so. Works well as I tell above - but better can be a development of a vertical blade as I did in my first draws (mi first attempt was a vertical blade and was better- two to three years before but was stonlen) and this also can be used in automatic position when sailing in good waves.



I tested an small sail but is not necessary except in conditions of wind with not waves- something difficult to found at sea. In my next hull I will consider all the boat as a sail to take advantage of the wind. This sail is the orange thing you can see over the deck - folding mast-.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment